Today I’ve received another part of the puzzle – the hotend. It’s a chinese clone of what I believe is called an E3D Hotend. It was one of the first parts I’ve ordered, I’m afraid I bought a wrong one, but I’ll write about it later.
Build looks quite nice to me – maybe pieces aren’t ideally clean, but everything seem to be in order. Parts fit nicely, inside hollow screw is made from stainless steel, drilled to 4 mm ID, and a teflon (PTFE) tube fills the inside. It’s supposed to allow frictionless moving of the filament inside the tube – and isolate ‘fresh’ filament from the nozzle heat before it gets inside the nozzle.
After 2 weeks of waiting, stepper motors arrived. I have chosen NEMA17 7HS4401 stepper motors, here are these pretties:
And the specs are:
I can’t wait to power them up, but drivers didn’t arrive yet. Official RepRap wiki article about stepper motors claims that 13.7 N·cm torque should be enough, but just to be safe I decided to go with 40 N·cm. I hope they will deliver .)
I decided to give AutoCAD trial a chance, and start drawing a frame for my printer. It will be based on Wolfy1.1 and Nutz95 design.
I had some previous experience with 3D modelling, mostly using 3DSMax, but modelling in AutoCAD turned out to be a lot of pain. It seem 3DS Max was (waaaayyy!) more intuitive when comes to viewport navigation, or working with edges/planes/vertices.
On the other side I was able to find many 3D models for autocad of aluminum extrusion profiles on the internet, among them extrusion 30x30x8mm which I’m going to use .)
After some time (I’m too ashamed how long it took to say it ,)) I managed to draw first few elements of the frame, and imported Y carriage bar holders from Nutz’s Prusa i3 rework.